Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sept. 8, 2010

Again, I was amazed this morning that the hot water never depleted in my shower. I am so thankful for there to be hot water in this establishment! I have been to so many places where the hot water just never lasts. Small blessing, I will say again.
At 9 o’clock we traveled to what is known as one of the most romanic cities in Germany; Rothenburg. In a protected city that looks remarkably like a hand pointing downward, we walked along the rim of the ancient wall and saw a spectacular view of the outer limits of the city. It was foggy, but you could still see the vista. 
Once we followed a street performing flutist into the city I noticed for the first time, a rather unkept car. To an uneducated American eye, this wouldn’t have been curious. But  in my readings of “Germany: Unraveling and Enigma” Greg Nees writes about the pristine conditions that Germans keep their cars in. To have a chip in the paint would be a disgrace. The car wasn’t in too bad of a condition, but in comparison with the millions of other cars that I have already seen here, it was. There was dirt on the roof and moss growing in the window cracks. The hood of the car was chipped and a tad bit rusty. It made me wonder the age of the cars owner, or rather the personality of the owner. If indeed they were a younger, more liberal thinking German that would make sense. If indeed it was an American owner... Now that would make al the sense in the world, sadly enough. Here is a picture of the car:
You can see a little bit of the moss in the window cracks. But the front of the car was the worst part.

No comments:

Post a Comment